Welcome to TeamBAMF
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Force 3G only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

wgergely

wgergely

• Inactive Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSeattle
So with the DNA, it appears that the "CDMA Only" option is gone from the Mobile Network settings. Furthermore, access to the testing menu thru *#*#4636#*#* is gone. However, you can still download the "Phone Info" by SC@Taiwan app from the play store (There are other LTE Switch apps, but this is the one I use). For those of us who remember the early days of the Thunderbolt when LTE was in it's infancy, you'll see where I'm going with this.

1) Run the "Phone Info" app.
2) Select "Phone information"
3) Select <CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto> (or which ever radio selection you're currently set to)
4) Change to <CDMA auto (PRL)>
5) Just hit your Home button to exit, you shouldn't even have to restart.

Voila' - You're in 3G

I've been thrilled with battery performance in 4G, but I occasionally need to demonstrate my phone's 3G performance for my line of work, and I'm sure folks can find other uses for this function.

Edit:
Oh yeah, you can change back to 4G simply by going into the Mobile Data Settings Menu and change Preferred Network to CDMA/LTE or Global

Edited by wgergely, 27 November 2012 - 03:02 PM.

WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
One of the other apps you can use is the "LTE OnOFF - HTC Thunderbolt" app... it is essentially appears to open the "Phone Info" screen you mention above.

nkgangew

nkgangew

Team Advisor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Pennsylvania
Are you noticing much better life with 3G compared to 4G? I only ask because I've read several articles that say the new chipset for LTE (which is in the DNA and other new gen phones) allegedly make battery life on LTE better than on 3G. I only ask because I haven't tested this, and obviously I'm interested in whether or not this is true. I can say though that the difference in my battery life between wifi and LTE is much smaller than it was on my Rez and Bolt. LTE seemed to almost double my battery drain compared to wifi on my Rez and Bolt, but LTE seems to drain only about 20% faster than using wifi on my DNA.

Edited by nkgangew, 27 November 2012 - 11:22 PM.
Taptalk hates me

CharlesTheMan is like Wikipedia...Only more Knowledgeable

Posted Image

WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Honestly, my battery has been so killer on 4G, I haven't found a need to put it in EvDO yet. This isn't the Droid Razr Maxx (HD), but it's definitely no Rezound/TBolt. Maybe I will try it one of these days just for S's&G's