Welcome to TeamBAMF
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Automate Your Life With NFC Task Launcher And Tasker

- - - - - NFC NFC Task Launcher Tasker Galaxy Nexus Galaxy Nexus Samsung Galaxy Nexus Verizon Galaxy Nexus Task NFC Tag

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Kai

Kai

The Prodigy

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
You walk into work or class like any other day. Half way through the lecture your phone goes off, usually the most embarrassing ringtone you have set, and everyone is looking at you. Yeah, you know the look. Android has a couple of options that help with situations like this: Locale and Tasker. Tasker is the more powerful of the two and is capable of doing tasks based off of many criteria.

I love Tasker. I have a profile that everything to silent when my phone connects to the WiFi at my school. Works like a charm. However, the downside is that I have to have WiFi on for it to work which means leaving it on at all times to avoid the risk of forgetting to turn it. A work around would be to set up a profile that does the same thing but does so based of the time of day.  Another useful option but one that also is flawed because everyone has to go in early or stay late some times.

Is there a solution? Enter NFC Task Launcher, a $1.99 app that could change the way you use your phone forever.

Posted Image

For those with an NFC enabled device this app will prove to be very useful and, to be honest, really fun. All you have to do is purchase some NFC tags

Posted Image

( I got mine for a good deal here: http://www.tagstand....c_circle_25mm_w) 1k tags are best so that you have plenty of room to write the tasks you want).

There are plenty of options here. I will go through them briefly.

"New Task"
- Control WiFi, Bluetooth, Auto-Sync, and Airplane mode
- Control all sound volumes and change tones
- Set alarms and timers
- Enable or disable WiFi tethering
- Check in on Foursquare, Latitude, or Facebook and send a tweet to twitter
- Launch any installed application
- Control screen brightness and enable or disable the notification light
- Integration with any created Tasker task
"New Switch"
- Allows for NFC tags to be programmed to do one set of tasks on the first
   read and then the reverse of those tasks or completely different tasks on
   the second reading.

Other features allow for tags to take the phone that reads them to a specified url, transmit a vCard, or send a message.

Almost anything you would want to automate is included in the app but the Tasker integration means that you can set up some tasks that the app itself cannot do and use the app to write that Tasker task to the NFC tag.

Here are some of the things I have done with my tags:

When I go to school I touch my phone to my laptop and all sound volumes are automatically set to 0, wifi is turned on, and the phone connects to the correct network. Here are pictures of my screen before touching it to the computer, after touching it to the computer, and one of my computer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also have set up a tag that is on the drawers beside my bed at school which turns my ringer volume to max and mutes all other sounds.

Posted Image

I also have one in my car that turns the ringer volume to max, adjusts other volumes down a little, and disables WiFi.

Posted Image

The options here are pretty vast. The benefit over Tasker alone is that if you want to set a task based on a location you have to enable WiFi or preferably GPS at all times to make it work. This can be a battery killer. Using NFC Task Launcher allows you to put a tag somewhere and touch your phone there to activate the task you need, no WiFi or GPS necessary.

Combining NFC Task Launcher with some time based Tasker tasks gives you the power to come as close to a fully animated phone as you can get.

Do you use NFC Task Launcher or Tasker? Share your profiles, tasks, and tags with the community in the comments below. Unique ideas might even be featured in a running thread on the forums.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

JMalone1187

JMalone1187

• Inactive Members
  • 28 posts
Way cool. I've looked at tasker and it is crazy complicated. Do you have a link to the Google Play page for NFC?
Thunderbolt - Verizon
BAMF Forever 1.0.9
MR3.5 1.48.00.0726W_2

tazman19

tazman19

The devil's inside...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Way cool. I've looked at tasker and it is crazy complicated. Do you have a link to the Google Play page for NFC?

Here you go...

https://play.google....nlauncher&hl=en

Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

ROM:  BAMF Paradigm, but what version number?  ;)

Twitter-4.png

tazsig3.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Signature by the one and only Gadget!!

Jaxwindle

Jaxwindle

Warden

• Senior Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
LOLZ at your tape player in the dash! :offtopic: :hammer:

Current Device: HTC Rezound (S-OFF)
ViperREZ ROM

Posted Image
Thanks to Gadget! for the Signature. Please consider donating

Follow BAMF on Facebook
Posted Image

Kai

Kai

The Prodigy

• Moderators
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

LOLZ at your tape player in the dash! :offtopic: :hammer:

Hey, I only have a six cd changer and sometimes I want to listen to something else and plugging my phone in the tape player is a lot easier than pulling over and changing cds in the trunk. Haha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drew66

Drew66

Rescue Squad Leader

• Rescue Squad
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
Thanks for the info...NFC Task Launcher and some tags. Question: I have a tag in my car mount and it turns on Car Home App. Any way to get it to turn it off using a switch or something. I can open apps automatically but not turn them off. Thanks!

gadget

gadget

Elite Member

• Recognized Themers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho
Alternative to Tasker...
For those that are intimidated by Tasker or if you just want a similar app that's relatively easy to use.
Check out "Automateit" it's in the Play Store and has a free version so you can try before you buy.
I have a profile set up that when I leave my home it automatically turns WiFi off, turns my ringer volume to max and vibrate.
Another one that turns my speaker phone on when putting my nexus face down (I miss that feature from my rez).

Three free version won't let you stack tasks but it will give you an idea of what you can do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

If you like my work, consider a Donation.

gadget!

S4_splash-sm.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NFC, NFC Task Launcher, Tasker, Galaxy, Nexus, Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Task, NFC Tag