Welcome to TeamBAMF
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[ROOT]Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

lostnuke

lostnuke

Elite Member

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
Since I was having an unfashionably horrible time with adb on the Gnex, I thought that I would share this little gem. I found it while scouring the interwebz for something that would work for me. All of the other tuts didn't seem to get me over the hump with adb but this one is about as easy as it gets. if you have a fractured adb install (like I did) I suggest removing all of that prior to getting started.This toolkit is brought to you by WugFresh over at galaxynexusforum. All credit goes to him. All I've done is copied what he shared and brought it here to share with our community. I will try to maintain this thread as best I can with any updates that he may provide. Here it is. Ready GO!Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! VERSION 1.3 - This program contains all the files you need to unlock and root your device, or flash it back to stock and re-lock it. You can also use this program to backup all your user apps, system apps, and app data, and easily restore them later in one click; and now with the latest release (v1.2.2) you can flash or boot any img file(s) you want to any partition on your device; as well as flash any current or future stock android release, making updating your device as easy as can be. and now with the latest release (v1.3), you can configure the drivers automatically.There is now one universal version that works for both CDMA and GSM models. ~ my goal for this project is make the entire process as smooth and simple as possible ~Feature breakdown: This is what gets done for you!System Variables:This will automatically: Ask the end user if they want to update their systems path variable to point to adb for global use from the cmd line This feature is optional.Drivers:This will automatically: Install the "Verizon_Wireless_I515_Galaxy_Nexus_USB_Driver_v1. 4.6.0.exe" Provide the end user detailed instructions for manually configuring their drivers. Driver configuration is a two step manual process: Your device has to be configured once when its ON and again when its in BOOTLOADER You have to manually configure these drivers through device manager. Follow the onscreen instructions for driver configuration, or refer to post #2 for more details.Unlock:This will automatically: This will unlock your device which will also inexorably factory reset your device. Factory resting means that, ALL your user app settings and files will be erased. So... please take the steps necessary to preserver your important data. I recommend backing up all your picture, music files, and such manually by just: Plugging your device into your computer and using drag and drop to copy them over Then use the backup feature of the toolkit to make a full backup of your apps and settings See "backup and restore"Root:This will automatically: Push su.zip (Superuser.apk) to your sdcard Flash clockwork mod (this is specific to your device model; ie CDMA version vs. GSM version) Provide on screen instructions for completing the rooting procedure Launch a script which automatically enters adb shell commands to rename the file "recover-from-boot.p" to to "recover-from-boot.p.bak to ensure permanent clockwork*If your computer says it can't find su.zip then you probably forgot to do the initial install... do it.*If you did do the initial install, then the problem is still related to that.*Your su.zip along with clockwork img, all should be in the directoryCode:\android-sdk-windows\platform-toolsFlash Stock + Unroot:This will automatically: Download the latest 4.02 android release for your specific model (CDMA/LTE vs GSM/HSPA+) Hashcheck the resulting download once it's finished to verify the files integrity. If it passes: Extract the .tgz factory image package in the proper manner to a specific sub directory in your GnexToolkit folder Flash the stock images to your device in a highly controlled and ordered fashion. Allow you to bypass the download and extract phase in the future if you have already done it before Allow you to point the program to ANY android factory image package, and let the program take care of the rest This process also includes a user input box governed hashcheck verification step to ensure the files integrity. Has an option to start the flashstock process from bootloader mode incase the user is bricked and can't boot ups charged first! Flashing stock will also inexorably unroot your device.OEM lock:This will automatically: Re-lock your device back to original equipment manufacture specifications. You must use the "flash stock + unroot" feature first before being able to use this option successfully.Backup Apps + Data:This will automatically: Initiate a backup of all your apps and app data User will be prompted to enter a password on there device to protect their backup file Once the backup is complete it will be stored on the users computer in the directory: And the file name will automatically be generated as the date and time the backup was made Note: this does not backup all of your SDcards contents: So its up to the end-user to backup any picture or music files they have. This only backs up apps + app data The user is given the option to backup system apps as wellRestore Apps + Data:This will automatically: Initiates a customized browse to file window which asks you to locate the android backup files (*.ab) you would like to restore This browse to file window automatically defaults to the proper location of your backups Code: \android-sdk-windows\nexusbackup Once the user selects the backup file, the program will automatically initiate a restore operation User will be prompted to enter the password they set in order to restore their file When the correct password is entered the file will be restore.Quick tools: Provides the end user an easy one click method for rebooting their device Rebooting their device into bootloader mode, and checking if their device is recognized.Flash to partition: Provides the end user an easy one click method for flashing any img file to any partition on their device Is designed to make modding on the nexus as simple as selecting the file you wan't to flash and pressing ok Has the option to boot img files as well, to try them out temporarily before flashing them permanentlyInstructions: Do not plug in your device until this program prompts you too! Install the program by double clicking the GnexRootToolkit.sfx.exe This will extract the contents to C:\GnexRootToolkit Place a shortcuts on your Desktop Launch the program for first use Use the "SDK + Files" option first to extract the necessary files to their proper locations Use this option regardless if you already have the SDK setup Use the "Drivers" option to make sure all your drivers get configured properly. This is a crucial step. Nothing else will work otherwise, so make sure your drivers are properly configured before you try doing anything else with this program. Follow the onscreen driver instructions carefully and you should have no problems. Use the "Backup Apps + Data" if you want to preserve your apps and settings for restoration after you unlock and root. Then use the "Unlock" to unlock and the "Root" to root... Tada! Enjoy your unlocked and rooted device. :D Then whenever you need to go back to square one just use the "Flash stock + Unroot" and "OEM lock" features. Remember that this option can also be used if you completely brick. This should bring you back to a fully locked stock factory state.Download:GnexRootToolkit.v1.3.sfx.exe[Mirror1][Mirror2]Checksums:File size: 40.5 MBCRC-32: 60173e80MD4: ce769bb081167b821b02518f49cb9374MD5: ae6dda67dc46026cd1684464137ecbc8SHA-1: 20e0f5cdacd2e7a970a1a6be2d87c1d08c938c5eCredits: Droid Life for their great instructions! Google for being pwn and making android. Koush for making Clockwork Mod mskip for information on Devcon.exe with XP copkay for his great guide on making backups WugFresh (thats me!) :DDonate:~ If you like my work please consider making a small donation. Help and support is greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~{{ WugFresh }}

Edited by lostnuke, 03 February 2012 - 11:32 PM.

lostnuke

lostnuke

Elite Member

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
COMPLETE MANUAL DRIVER INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS:Part 1: Configuring your adb drivers Turn your device completely on, enable USB debugging, and connect your device via USB To enable USB debugging: on your phone, settings > developer options > check USB debugging Open device manager: Start > type devmgmt.msc Look for anything that resembles your device: it could say Galaxy, it could say Android device... whatever.. If you can't figure out which one is your device: Unplug your phone and then replug it while watching device manager This will help you find out which one it is, even if the computer thinks its something else Uninstall this device! Right click the device > Uninstall If it prompt you about removing software associated with it, check the box and hit OK Now refresh your devices by hitting the "Scan for hardware changes" button It looks like a little computer with a magnifying glass over it. You will now see the device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it If your computer automatically reconfigured it and its not right driver: You want it to say Android adb Device or Samsung adb device, if it says this move on to part 2. Then you can disable automatic driver configuration by opening cmd prompt and typing: Code: rundll32.exe newdev.dll,DeviceInternetSettingUi 2 Pressing enter, and then changing the setting. Now you wan't to install the correct drivers... Right click the device and choose "Update Driver Software..." Now select "Browse my computer for driver software" (hotkey: Alt+r) Now in the "Search for driver software in this location:" enter: For 64bit OS: Code: C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\drivers\64bit For 32bit OS: Code: C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\drivers\32bit To determine if you are running a 32bit or 64bit OS: Right click "My Computer" > Properties > Read what it says after "System Type:" If your SDK is installed somewhere other than the C: drive, then just look there: Code: %where ever%\android-sdk-windows\extras\drivers\32bit or 64bit Now Hit enter, agree to the security warning and wait for the driver to configure.. ...It could take a few minutes... then tada! Alternatively (this method only works on some computers), if you already installed the Samsung drivers ...which you probably did since its bundled into my toolkit, then you can try using: "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" (Hotkey: Alt+L) Browsing for "Samsung Devices" and selecting Next... Then choosing "SAMSUNG Mobile ADB Device" Then selecting next, waiting for it to configure, and tada! Now you wan't to test to make sure the drivers are working correctly: Open cmd promt (Start > cmd.exe > enter) and type: Code: adb devices If your device is listed (string of numbers and letters) then you are good! Now go onto part 2Part 2: Configuring your fastboot drivers Boot your phone into bootloader mode, there are two ways to do this: Opening cmd prompt (Start > cmd.exe > enter) and typing: Code: adb reboot bootloader and press enter. or... With your phone in a completely powered off state, turn it back on by: Holding both up and down volumes buttons and the power button Connect your device via USB Repeat steps 2 through 7 from Part 1 ...unless you see that the drivers are already configured as a working adb device, then go onto step 4. ​The only difference you will experience this time, is that when you get to the part with the un-configured device... It will most likely be listed as: "Android 1.0" Once you get the un-configured "Android 1.0" device configured and listed as an adb device, then test it: Open cmd prompt (Start > cmd.exe > enter) and type: Code: fastboot reboot-bootloader If it reboots your bootloader and says "Okay" then you are 100% good to go at this point. You can now reboot your phone and go onto to unlocking and rooting your phone. To reboot your phone from bootloader mode, you have two options: If you see the big green start, then just press the power button. Or...you can be a nerd and do it from cmd line: Code: fastboot reboot Driver configuration complete!************************************************** *****************************************Changelog:LATEST RELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.2.2 (1-15-2012) Changed the permanent root script to rename the "recover-from-boot.p" file to "recover-from-boot.p.bak" instead of just deleting it.RELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.2.1 (1-15-2012) Fixed the support buttonRELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.2 (1-14-2012) Took out the pre-extracted android factory images and made the program universal (supports both CDMA/LTE and GSM/HSPA+) Built a customized installer for pulling the factory images from googles servers, hash checking it, extracting it and flashing it Support to easily extract and flash any future android release with built in user input box governed hash checking Added the option to bypass the download and extract phase if the user already did that before. Added quick tools for easy access to tasks like rebooting your phone, rebooting it in to bootloader mode, or listing devices Built and included an automated adb shell script to ensure clockwork mod is permanently installed. This script will open up a cmd window, enter into adb shell with SU permissions, mount system, and then delete "recovery-from-boot.p" This enables the end user to gain permanent clockwork on first root without the need of an app like Root Explorer Added the ability to flash any img files to any partition on the phone in one click: Just boot your phone into bootloader, or use the program too Select the button which corresponds to the partition you want to flash to The program will open up a browse to file window, in which the user can select the img file they wan't to flash Press ok, and the program will take care of the rest Streamlined the entire driver installation/configuration process. With full detailed on screen manual instruction included Added lots of checks along the way to ensure the user is properly connected before attempting to do something Rewrote/reworked a lot of the code to fix/address all known bugs in the previous release Included explanatory introduction blurbs for all the processes so the end user knows what's going on and whats about to happen in each stage beforehand. This way the end user is more comfortable with and more clear on the entire process.RELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.1 Added GSM support! Woot! :D Added the ability for the end-user to select the location of their own SDK setup This dynamic feature is facilitated by a browse to folder window Relevant path variables are stored to local bat and dat files for retrieval Consolidated and re-wrote a majority of the original code End-user will experience a more logical flow of information and procedures Added the ability for the end-user to backup and restore their apps and data Each backup is automatically dated and time stamped Created a customized 'Browse to file' feature for selecting and restoring backups Removed automated driver configuration Replaced it with a step-by-step folder of img's for reference Confirmed a working driver solution on windows xp Extracted driver files from PDAnet for use on XP These same extracted driver files can be used on Win7/Vista if needed The driver configuration is more comprehensive now After drivers are configured, it prompts user with a way to test them out. Cleaned up and re-wrote a lot of the outputted explanation text Lots of minor bug fixes, especially regarding some 'current directory' problems Touched up the GUI a bit to accommodate for the additional buttons Set up a better base framework to enable easier and faster future development...RELEASE DETAILS - VERSION 1.0 Initial Setup, Unlock + Root, Unroot + OEM lock The beginning's of Galaxy Nexus Toolkit..."{{ WugFresh }}

Edited by lostnuke, 18 January 2012 - 08:38 PM.

The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
Very cool...Thanks for sharing!

gsxraddict

gsxraddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
This thing is absolutely awesome! Used it tonight actually just to start from a clean base. Had a hard time in fastboot trying to flash touch cwm this is an amazing tool can look through any file anywhere and flash the img file. Plan to donate to this as its very valuable to me at least.Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lostnuke

lostnuke

Elite Member

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
OP updated with working download links and a new version...