12 replies to this topic

#1 The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Is anyone else getting this when you try to install the latest update? When I say latest I mean as of like 15 minutes ago? I've tried rebooting and keep getting the same icon after each reboot...I assume this is because I am rooted...is this correct? Thx!

Edited by The Bear, 19 December 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#2 slim6596

slim6596

• VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

If you're rooted, why in the world would you try to take an OTA? 99% of the time (with other rooted devices), that results in a hot mess of rebooting, bootlooping and all around soft to hard bricking.

#3 The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Haha, I hear ya, prolly a bonehead move on my part...However, I figured since it was a Google update versus Verizon update they were perhaps releasing an upgrade to signal service or something; I won't install any Verizon crap tho. Is there any recommendation of how to make this stupid update notification disappear?

#4 droidkevlar

droidkevlar

• VIPs
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Haha, I hear ya, prolly a bonehead move on my part...However, I figured since it was a Google update versus Verizon update they were perhaps releasing an upgrade to signal service or something; I won't install any Verizon crap tho. Is there any recommendation of how to make this stupid update notification disappear?

I had this doing something else. I since then followed these instructions but didnt relock the bootloader and then I was good.http://www.droid-lif...-factory-state/It does take sometime on certain things so just be patient. If you re-root, there wont be a file to rename or delete as its not part of Googles image, only Verizons.

#5 skeeter

skeeter

• VIPs
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

How does one stop auto updates?

#6 The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

How does one stop auto updates?

I installed a new rom...I was trying to wait for bamf, but I couldn't handle that update notification.

#7 datdoot

datdoot

• Inactive Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

At this point im assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery flashed using rom manager? If you are having a problem installing the update its because OTA updates wont install properly with clockworkmod. I unlocked my phone then rooted it then did OTA and it ruined my ROOT so i had to re-root, no big deal. Then i downloaded ROM manager and flashed clockwork mod. If I tried to get into recovery from the bootloader menu then it would give me the android with a red exclamation point as well, but I could get into recovery from rom manager and selecting "reboot into recovery". I did some reading and found out if you rename a file in the system folder you can get into clockworkmod from the bootloader menu. You have to get root explorer and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete). Now clockwork mod should be installed permanently and it wont give you that exclamation point android guy anymore, but im not sure if it will fix your problem. I just figured ide share this information because it boggled me for a while too.source:http://www.droidforu...al-version.html

#8 WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

I had the same issue as well, but I didn't try to install the OTA update, it just kept popping up on my rooted demo phone. I ended up flashing a "stock" Rooted (deodexed, etc.) ROM that had the OTA updated built in. After I flashed it I got prompted once but it quickly force-closed and I have not seen it since!

#9 gall0wz

gall0wz

• VIPs
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

I have the issue where as soon as I close the OTA notification it pops up again within a minute. Very annoying.

#10 The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

I have the issue where as soon as I close the OTA notification it pops up again within a minute. Very annoying.

Yup, that's what mine was doing, you have two options...unroot, update, then reroot...or...flash a rom. If you decide to chose the later, I would recommend rootzboat, I've been very happy thus far, I'm running it with adr's kernel...

#11 jasonpantuliano

jasonpantuliano

• Inactive Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

This is google phone. No update will ever take away the ability to unlock and root. Just in case u didn't know.Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#12 WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

I flashed this one over the top of my stock rooted nexus with no wipe, and no issues: http://rootzwiki.com...ook-font-fixed/ As he states, I would recommend that you do a nand backup first, wipe cache and then flash over the top.

#13 AlpineM3

AlpineM3

• Inactive Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

At this point im assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery flashed using rom manager? If you are having a problem installing the update its because OTA updates wont install properly with clockworkmod. I unlocked my phone then rooted it then did OTA and it ruined my ROOT so i had to re-root, no big deal. Then i downloaded ROM manager and flashed clockwork mod. If I tried to get into recovery from the bootloader menu then it would give me the android with a red exclamation point as well, but I could get into recovery from rom manager and selecting "reboot into recovery". I did some reading and found out if you rename a file in the system folder you can get into clockworkmod from the bootloader menu. You have to get root explorer and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete). Now clockwork mod should be installed permanently and it wont give you that exclamation point android guy anymore, but im not sure if it will fix your problem. I just figured ide share this information because it boggled me for a while too.So I just tried flashing a ROM and was prompted with the little green guy and red triangle... pulled the battery and came back to this thread remembering I had seen this problem so I went to ROM manager and tried getting into recovery through there just as u had mentioned, but same thing happened....thoughts why I simply cannot get into recovery? Yes I am unlocked, rooted and have CWR through ROM manager source:http://www.droidforu...al-version.html

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk