Welcome to TeamBAMF
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Android icon with open chest and red exclamation mark

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
Is anyone else getting this when you try to install the latest update? When I say latest I mean as of like 15 minutes ago? I've tried rebooting and keep getting the same icon after each reboot...I assume this is because I am rooted...is this correct? Thx!

Edited by The Bear, 19 December 2011 - 03:52 PM.

slim6596

slim6596

• VIPs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you're rooted, why in the world would you try to take an OTA? 99% of the time (with other rooted devices), that results in a hot mess of rebooting, bootlooping and all around soft to hard bricking.

The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
Haha, I hear ya, prolly a bonehead move on my part...However, I figured since it was a Google update versus Verizon update they were perhaps releasing an upgrade to signal service or something; I won't install any Verizon crap tho. Is there any recommendation of how to make this stupid update notification disappear?

droidkevlar

droidkevlar

• VIPs
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Haha, I hear ya, prolly a bonehead move on my part...However, I figured since it was a Google update versus Verizon update they were perhaps releasing an upgrade to signal service or something; I won't install any Verizon crap tho. Is there any recommendation of how to make this stupid update notification disappear?

I had this doing something else. I since then followed these instructions but didnt relock the bootloader and then I was good.http://www.droid-lif...-factory-state/It does take sometime on certain things so just be patient. If you re-root, there wont be a file to rename or delete as its not part of Googles image, only Verizons.

skeeter

skeeter

• VIPs
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
How does one stop auto updates?

The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

How does one stop auto updates?

I installed a new rom...I was trying to wait for bamf, but I couldn't handle that update notification.

datdoot

datdoot

• Inactive Members
  • 6 posts
At this point im assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery flashed using rom manager? If you are having a problem installing the update its because OTA updates wont install properly with clockworkmod. I unlocked my phone then rooted it then did OTA and it ruined my ROOT so i had to re-root, no big deal. Then i downloaded ROM manager and flashed clockwork mod. If I tried to get into recovery from the bootloader menu then it would give me the android with a red exclamation point as well, but I could get into recovery from rom manager and selecting "reboot into recovery". I did some reading and found out if you rename a file in the system folder you can get into clockworkmod from the bootloader menu. You have to get root explorer and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete). Now clockwork mod should be installed permanently and it wont give you that exclamation point android guy anymore, but im not sure if it will fix your problem. I just figured ide share this information because it boggled me for a while too.source:http://www.droidforu...al-version.html

WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I had the same issue as well, but I didn't try to install the OTA update, it just kept popping up on my rooted demo phone. I ended up flashing a "stock" Rooted (deodexed, etc.) ROM that had the OTA updated built in. After I flashed it I got prompted once but it quickly force-closed and I have not seen it since!

gall0wz

gall0wz

• VIPs
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
I have the issue where as soon as I close the OTA notification it pops up again within a minute. Very annoying.

The Bear

The Bear

Gold Member

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

I have the issue where as soon as I close the OTA notification it pops up again within a minute. Very annoying.

Yup, that's what mine was doing, you have two options...unroot, update, then reroot...or...flash a rom. If you decide to chose the later, I would recommend rootzboat, I've been very happy thus far, I'm running it with adr's kernel...

jasonpantuliano

jasonpantuliano

• Inactive Members
  • 1 posts
This is google phone. No update will ever take away the ability to unlock and root. Just in case u didn't know.Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

WorldOfJohnboy

WorldOfJohnboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

I flashed this one over the top of my stock rooted nexus with no wipe, and no issues: http://rootzwiki.com...ook-font-fixed/ As he states, I would recommend that you do a nand backup first, wipe cache and then flash over the top.

AlpineM3

AlpineM3

• Inactive Members
  • 20 posts

At this point im assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery flashed using rom manager? If you are having a problem installing the update its because OTA updates wont install properly with clockworkmod. I unlocked my phone then rooted it then did OTA and it ruined my ROOT so i had to re-root, no big deal. Then i downloaded ROM manager and flashed clockwork mod. If I tried to get into recovery from the bootloader menu then it would give me the android with a red exclamation point as well, but I could get into recovery from rom manager and selecting "reboot into recovery". I did some reading and found out if you rename a file in the system folder you can get into clockworkmod from the bootloader menu. You have to get root explorer and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" (change to 1recovery-from-boot.p or delete). Now clockwork mod should be installed permanently and it wont give you that exclamation point android guy anymore, but im not sure if it will fix your problem. I just figured ide share this information because it boggled me for a while too.So I just tried flashing a ROM and was prompted with the little green guy and red triangle... pulled the battery and came back to this thread remembering I had seen this problem so I went to ROM manager and tried getting into recovery through there just as u had mentioned, but same thing happened....thoughts why I simply cannot get into recovery? Yes I am unlocked, rooted and have CWR through ROM manager source:http://www.droidforu...al-version.html

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk